- 30 minutes to make Print This
- Serves 2
- Submission and comments by our Kilmeaden Chef.
A lovely accompaniment to any main course
1 small cauliflower
20 g Avonmore butter
20 g plain flour
350 ml Avonmore milk
150g Kilmeaden red fully Mature Cheese, grated
(& some extra cheese for sprinkling)
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 pinch black pepper
How to make it
- Remove the outer leaves and then break or cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a saucepan of simmering water. Cook for 5 minutes (you want them slightly undercooked as they will be going in the oven too).
- Set the oven to 170C/gas 3.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and add in the flour. Cook on a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk, whisking continuously to ensure that no lumps form. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the grated fully mature Kilmeaden Cheese & the mustard. Stir until the cheese has melted into the sauce and remove from the heat.
- Place the cauliflower in a lightly buttered ovenproof dish and pour over the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.