- 40 minutes to make Print This
- Serves 4
- Submission and comment by Antoinette Collins
This rich and intensely flavoured Irish soup will become a winter favourite
60 g butter
1 bunch leeks (3/4)chopped
1 large onion, chopped
75 g plain flour
750 ml chicken stock
500 ml water
1 can Smithwicks
1/4 tsp salt
125 ml cream
340 g grated Kilmeaden Cheddar
2 tsp English mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
Few chives/sprig parsley for decoration
How to make it
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook leeks and onion, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring, just until starting to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in stock, water, Smithwicks and salt; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cream; bring just to boil over medium heat.
- Add Kilmeaden Cheddar cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper; reduce heat to low.
- Stir until piping hot and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chives or parsley