- 30 minutes to make Print This
- Serves 4
- Submission and comments by our Kilmeaden Chef.
A quick and famous pasta dish in the States
50g Avonmore butter
50g plain flour
700ml Avonmore milk
275g Kilmeaden Mature Cheddar, Grated
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
280g macaroni pasta
1 tsp good quality Dijon mustard
10 chopped sun dried tomatoes, drained of any oil (optional)
How to make it
- Cook the pasta in simmering water with a pinch of salt for approx 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan. When the butter starts to foam add in the flour, stir well and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly. Bring to just below the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring constantly to ensure the sauce is silky smooth. Add the grated cheese (keeping a little back for the top) and mustard and stir again until smooth. Turn off the heat.
- Drain the water from the macaroni and return to the pan. Pour in the cheese sauce on top of the cooked pasta and add in the chopped sun dried tomatoes (optional). Stir the mix thoroughly.
- Place the macaroni cheese into a shallow proof ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and remaining grated cheese. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180C for 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown on top and then serve.