- 3 hours to make Print This
- Serves 4
- Submission and comments by our Kilmeaden Chef.
A Sunday favourite
1 kg boned pork belly, rind left on and scored
1 tbsp olive oil
For the Cheese mash:
5 large rooster potatoes
50g Avonmore butter
100ml Avonmore milk (hot)
125g Kilmeaden fully mature cheese, grated
2 finely chopped spring onions
Salt & ground black pepper
How to make it
- Season the meat side of the pork with salt and pepper. Place the pork belly rind side up, on a wire rack sitting over a baking tray. Place in a preheated oven 160C/gas mark 3 and roast for 3 hours. Remove the pork from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- About 45 minutes before the pork is ready, peel the potatoes and cut them in half. Cook in water covered with a lid until they are cooked through. Drain off the water, and then return the pan to the heat to evaporate off any excess water. Mash the potatoes until smooth. Stir in the butter followed by the hot milk, chopped spring onion and then the grated Kilmeaden.
- Season to taste with salt & ground black pepper.
- Divide the pork into 4 portions and serve with the Kilmeaden cheddar & spring onion mash.